Back to Listings
Established in 1935 and opened in 1976, Fort Stanwix National Monument commemorates the original fort which protected the Oneida Carry as European nations fought for control of this portage, the homelands of the Six Nations Confederacy, and the rich resources of North America. One of 400+ National Park Service sites, Fort Stanwix National Monument offers a full-scale reconstruction of the original fort built in 1758 by the British during the French and Indian War and occupied by Americans during the Revolutionary War. After the successful defense of the fort against the British in August of 1777, Fort Stanwix became the only American post never to surrender to the enemy throughout the entire American Revolution. The park offers an extensive exhibit area in the Marinus Willett Center. Here one can explore centuries of history through the many interpretive exhibits and cases of artifacts unearthed on site. The park also collaboratively manages both the Oriskany Battlefield State Historic Site and the Steuben Memorial State Historic Site, all three locations inexorably connected from the time of the American Revolution. In spring, summer and fall, the park is open 7 days a week. Winter hours vary. Please check the park website for additional information about hours, tours, and special events, or call 315-338-7730 and ask to speak with a park ranger. Visitors are also welcome to enjoy the free park cell phone tour at any time while you walk the grounds by calling 315-271-2059. Fort Stanwix National Monument winter hours: Beginning Sunday, December 23, 2018 and lasting until March 31, 2019, the park visitor center will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. It will be closed on Sundays and Mondays. The fort will also be accessible by guided tour at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, weather permitting. During this time, park trails will still be accessible 7 days a week. Visitors are also welcome to enjoy the free park cell phone tour at any time while you walk the grounds by calling 315-271-2059. A full calendar of events can be found on www.nps.gov/fost. Fort Stanwix National Monument is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the winter. Admission to the park is free. For more information about upcoming events please call the park at (315) 338-7730. Please visit the park’s web page at www.nps.gov/fost, or follow us on Facebook or Instagram, for additional information about the park and up-to-date news about park events. Fort Stanwix is one of over 400 parks in the National Park System. To learn more about national parks, visit www.nps.gov.