Celebrate Christmas, Central New York Style
That most wonderful time of the year is almost upon us and Oneida County is in the holiday spirit. And how could we not be? There is so much fun to be had, from the magical Polar Express Train Ride to the classic performances at The Stanley. The historic theater will continue their decades-long tradition with The Nutcracker, performed by the Mohawk Valley Ballet, and this year, you can also catch a Broadway Utica presentation of Charlie Brown Christmas: Live on Stage. For more live music, grab tickets to the a cappella group Pentatonix. The Grammy winners will put on a Christmas concert at the Turning Stone Event Center on December 1.
In the way of art, Fountain Elms at Munson Williams Proctor Arts Institute will feature their annual Victorian Yuletide exhibit November 23-December 30. This year’s theme is A New York State Christmas, and the rooms will be decked out to celebrate the Empire State’s contribution to long-standing holiday traditions.
There are also plenty of upcoming events where you can start your holiday shopping, snap a photo with Santa, and generally celebrate this festive season in our friendly community. Here are some events coming up in November.
Location: Union Station – 321 Main Street, Utica
Date: November 17, 2018
Time: 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- What to Expect: A holiday craft fair, clowns, balloon animals, live music, refreshments, and free wagon rides courtesy of Clinton Tractor.
Visit with Santa: Mr. and Mrs. Clause will arrive just after noon. Take your photo with the jolly couple throughout the day.
Additional Comments: Go for the free hot cocoa and stay for the 5:00 p.m. tree lighting ceremony and spectacular fireworks display.
Location: Sauquoit Middle School, 2648 Sulphur Spring Rd, Sauquoit
Date: November 17-18, 2018
Time: Saturday 10-5, Sunday 10-4
- Why to Go: Make a dent in your holiday shopping list with one-of-a-kind gifts. Buy scarves, pillows, wood carvings, soaps, candles, and more, all handcrafted by local artists and designers. Local purveyors of cheese and chocolates will be on hand, and Christmas decorations galore will be available for purchase.
- Even More Reasons to Go: 2018 marks this event’s 40th anniversary! To celebrate there will be giveaways throughout the two days.
Additional Information: Admission is $3. Children under 12 are free. For an additional $3, drop your children off in the Kid’s Art and Craft Room. All proceeds from the event go toward student arts and educational programs.
Location: Village of Clinton
Date: November 23-24, 2018
- Why to Go: Avoid the typical Black Friday madness. Start your Christmas shopping at local businesses while you stay energized with hot cider, roasted chestnuts, and more seasonal goodies. Get in the holiday spirit with horse-drawn carriage rides and holiday carolers.
- DAILY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Friday: Christmas carol sing-along, “Twas the Night Before Christmas” reading, annual tree-lighting, holiday parade.
- Saturday: S’mores from Nola’s Restaurant, a roaring fire on the Clinton Village Green, balloon animals by Smilo the Clown.
Santa Drop-ins: Santa and Mrs. Clause will be at the Clinton Fire Department on Friday at 7:30 p.m. and at the gazebo on the Village Green on Saturday 12:00 – 3:00 p.m.
New This Year: 5K Jingle Jog. Saturday at 8:00 a.m. Sign up here.
Event Schedule: See here for a complete listing of events.